Strawberry Cranberry-Jam Tart



It's the end of summer, and fruits are in season and to be found cheaply in supermarkets.






First, prepare the strawberries by slicing them up thinly. I tend to cut these with their ends facing downwards.


I made cranberry jam and custard the night before. Custard has strawberry extract instead of vanilla in it! But I can't really taste it. Both have copious amounts of sugar (by my standards), but taste mildly sweet. Cranberry jam was made using a 12oz pack of fresh cranberries. I love them dried, but fresh they taste too bitter and sour for me to really want to eat more. As a jam they bring a sourish sweetness to mind. Because of the fresh fruit used, there isn't a hint of that cloying artificial taste you get from commercial jams.


Lining the prebaked pieshells with custard. Pie pastry made using Canadian whole wheat flour I picked up last year and haven't used up as yet! Better use while it's not expired...


The assembled larger pie. I baked two! The larger one has this gorgeous crust, and I love the texture of the dough (because of the whole wheat flour used). The layers were: custard, cranberry jam and strawberries followed by an agar layer. I'm veg and avoid gelatine and other animal byproducts. One can't tell the difference anyway. 



A final picture of the pie. It was very hard to cut up! My advice is to use a huge knife and add bodyweight to it to get it into neat slices. 

Posted by Picasa

0 comments: